ECEWS commenced a partnership with Helen Keller International – HKI in October 2022, to control and eliminate Neglected Tropical Diseases in Akwa Ibom State through preventive chemotherapy and Morbidity Management and Disability Prevention (MMDP). This project is funded by THE END FUND, to successfully eliminate NTDs by 2030 in line with the Sustainable Development Goal- SDG 3. The goal is to attain a healthier and more educated population. The project works in partnership with a diverse group of stakeholders, including the state Ministries of Health, Education, and Information, the private sector, community leaders, and civil society groups to ensure optimal coverage and effectiveness of all interventions.
The project has the following objectives:
• Improved health outcomes in the target population, with total elimination of NTDs in endemic areas.
• Increased awareness of NTDs in the state.
• Increased access and provision of NTDs prevention and care services with primary health care strengthening in management practices.
Areas of focus
• Lymphatic Filariasis elimination in Akwa Ibom State.
• Soil-Transmitted Helminths control.
• Elimination of Onchocerciasis in Akwa Ibom State
• Control/Elimination of Schistosomiasis in endemic areas in Akwa Ibom State.
• Morbidity Management and Disability Prevention.